Wednesday 27 December 2006

Module Three - Contributing to the Infosphere: e-writing?

This would be the part of this unit that I am probably most comfortable with. I have been creating and maintaining websites for approximately the last five years. I have just recently finished a major redesign of a private secondary school intranet. I was responsible for the technical aspects of the coding, particularly in the initial stages of the planning and design.

Web Standards are of particular interest to me in light of the redesign, and before that. Because there were many pages that were created in FrontPage by library staff with little idea of Web Standards, coding, colour or design and unfortunately a love of massive, intricate image-maps it made for a lot of work. Even then, it was hard going to implement standards, as some of those involved in the project didn't understand the importance of standards and so felt that they weren't important.

Ironically, that Intranet has been shown and demonstrated for the last 18 months, with much praise and admiration at several international conferences. While the PDF doesn't actually show the Intranet it does show all original images & design by yours truly. On slides 7 & 12 it shows a design I created to decorate a space 1m high by 11m long approx. on a wall in the library.

On actual writing as opposed to coding and designing, I am hoping to participate in a writing course to improve my writing, in the new year. My main writing experience has been abstracts and procedures manuals in the past.

Until now I have never had an interest or a need to have a blog. That doesn't mean I don't regularly read them. There are many excellent blogs on many different subjects areas that I read regularly.

After I finish this unit, I will be looking at various blogging tools that can be hosted on a server as part of the website rather than the blogger.com type of blogging tool.

No comments: